Thursday, December 2, 2010

Anders Zorn (1860-1920)

 While some artist struggle with phantom demons regarding photography, the young Anders Zorn immediately appreciated the convenience of photographic reference. In 1874, at the age of 14, he drew himself from a formal photographic portrait.




Zorn, at 24 years, would take photographs to be used as reference for his genre paintings.






In his fifties, Zorn the master could be found island hopping, camera in hand, catching hons at play (later to be etched).



Click here for more images~
 http://picasaweb.google.com/104843871720362761374/ZORNPhotographsAndRelatedWork?feat=directlink

4 comments:

  1. thanks for answering my question about Zorn and early photographs...As I mentioned, I copied photographs from my Latin book...sculptures, at around age 12- 14. But I didn't start using photos for painting references until I was well on my way knowing how to paint from life. I imagined he did the same?

    anyway, I am glad that we both clarified this for Stapelton. I saw some other examples at the Gardner Museum where she has an very good collections of his drawings and photographs. Thanks...keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What precocious child could keep from trying their hand? Zorns entire life was in the photographic-age, how could a visual minded person not be drawn to it.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.
    Spray Tan Dallas
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    I’m impressed by your blog. Absolutely amazing work.

    ReplyDelete